Sunday, September 4, 2011

GUNUNG BELUMUT, AT LAST

After months of waiting and pestering my friend Tony to take me to this mountain, finally the day came I could take on Gunung Belumut(Mount Belumut.)
This mountain, standing at 1,010 metres (3,314 ft), is located in the state of Johor, Malaysia. The trek can be completed within a day, while the average climber would take two days one night. For the average climber, the climb to the summit takes 5 to 6 hours and the return to the foot (by the same route) takes 3 to 4 hours.
The route upwards to the false and true summits is uphill almost all the way. It is considered quite a tough climb for those less fit or first timers. It takes about 20mins to reach the true summit from the false peak. Except for a huge boulder and the pyaramic shape pinnacle there was not much of a scenary.
. We arrived at the entrance at around 0830hrs and started climbing immediately after posing for some photos.
The starting trail was quite easy, but after a couple of km was steep all the way, with a few flat land along the way, then it's back steepness till eternity. I must have walk for miles. Have you ever walked until you can't walk anymore and all you wanted to do is to sit down, have a cold drink? That was how I felt, but I knew I had to keep on pushing myself in order to complete the hike. For this expedition we had a group of 14 people , the oldest was about 65 years old. Everyone took their own time and at their own pace. It took me 3 hours to reach the peak and about the same time down. It rained on my way down and the wet condition makes it quite difficult to descend and I had to slowed down abit. At one point there as a fallen branches and I had to bend low to get to the other side and got in the way of a twig.I got cut across my forehead between my eyes. Had it been a few inches nearer I would had been blind. Finally reach the foot of the mountain at around 1550 hours. This is by far the highest peak I had climbed and the most difficult one for me and I don't think I would be in a hurry to try another similar or higher ones. Even if I wanted to I doubt my body could take such punishment anymore. Here are some photos that serve as memories of the trip.

part of the team members


at the summit

crown rock


                                           wild mushrooms

at the main entrance


You may view more photos on my facebook page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment